The Social Security and Tax Number System (“My Number”)
On 31st May 2013, the Act on the Use of Numbers to Identify a Specific Individual in the Administrative Procedure was passed and from October 2015 all residents of Japan were notified of their "My Number". Identity cards with this individual number were then delivered from January 2016.
It is important for residents to keep these individual numbers safe and secure. The following information is provided in 6 languages.
1. Cabinet Office Homepage
The cabinet office operates a website that provides information about the "My Number" system in 5 languages including a general overview and FAQ (English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, and Portuguese)
- English: http://www.cas.go.jp/jp/seisaku/bangoseido/english.html
- Chinese (Simplified):http://www.cas.go.jp/jp/seisaku/bangoseido/chinese-kantaiji.html
- Chinese (Traditional): http://www.cas.go.jp/jp/seisaku/bangoseido/chinese-hantaiji.html
- Korean: http://www.cas.go.jp/jp/seisaku/bangoseido/korean.html
- Spanish: http://www.cas.go.jp/jp/seisaku/bangoseido/spanish.html
- Portuguese: http://www.cas.go.jp/jp/seisaku/bangoseido/portuguese.html
2. Leaflets in 25 languages
The Cabinet Office has also prepared leaflets in 25 languages (Chinese [Simplified/Traditional], Korean, Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Bengali, Burmese, Cambodia, Tagalog, French, German, Hindi, Indonesian, Laotian, Malay, Mongolian, Persian, Russian, Thai, Tibetan, Turkish, Urdu, Uzbek, Vietnamese)